[tex-live] Texlive installation on Linux

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Jan 14 13:19:56 CET 2009

Ciao Claudio,

On Di, 13 Jan 2009, Claudio Beccari wrote:
> I was doubtful to write anything about this point; with all the
> "penguins" around the world receiving the TL DVD I imagine you were
> receiving a lot of mail regarding the difficulties of installing TL from
> the DVD.

In fact, it is not so bad as I thought ;-)

> The point is that the DVD is not writable, while, apparently, the setup
> program requires to write down some information. Probably this "feature"

Strange, many many people installed from DVD, I do it regularly (from a
loop mounted iso image, also not writeable) and it always worked.

> has alrady been corrected, but I wanted to let you know, because on my
> Windows laptop I activated ProTeX and the installation took a lot of

Ah, you mean the ProTeX installation. I don't know about that. Or where
you talking about the TeX Live installation?

> On my third laptop that runs Kubuntu, I spent severat hours trying to
> figure out what was wrong; I eventually downloaded a fresh setup

Any error messages when starting the install-tl script?

> executable from CTAN and pointed to the DVD as the place where to make
> the installation from, and finally everything ran correctly. The

That is anyway always a good solution since we improve the installer
permanently.

Thanks for your feedback and all thes best

Norbert