[tex-live] Installation: dviout\dviout.exe not found

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Thu Feb 26 21:30:40 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:56:21PM +0100, Ingo H. de Boer wrote:
> Hi Stas,
>
> no problem at all. I am willing to help :-)
>
> I tried TL2008, MiKTeX and also W32TeX(Japanese) with some autoconfig
> based on TeX distribution and also programs you choose. E.g. when
> you choose SumatraPDF as viewer, everything within WinShell will be
> configured for synctex. This takes away a lot of user interaction
> for novice user. But I cannot cover everything ;-)
>
> Also, .vbs might not be the best possible solution, right?
> In the context of viruses ? Maybe a .bat file would be better or
> using directly the .exe ?
>
> best regards,
>   Ingo

Why would a .vbs file make things worse than they already are? For
w2k and later, you can't get around wscript/cscript anyway AFAIK.

Some explanation of the choices I made: at our university we have
roaming profiles. This means that ideally there should be total
separation between local- and system configuration on the one hand
and user configuration on the other.

This is mostly not a problem with TL, but with dviout, the only way
I managed to accomplish that was to configure dviout completely with
command-line parameters. dviout.vbs does nothing but asking kpathsea
some questions, setting some environment variables and calling
dviout.exe with a very long list of options and parameters. With
vbscript, I could do this without introducing multiple scripting
layers and therefore also multiple-level quoting problems.

Of course, a TeX-aware editor could do that with C code, and avoid
the intermediate script(s).

--
Siep Kroonenberg