[tex-live] merging texmf-doc into texmf-dist

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Feb 18 14:05:18 CET 2009

Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
> I don't think that it's sufficient to have texmf-doc in order to
> determine the language of a particular file.  There are some files
> written in English and French in texmf-dist/doc already and the
> language can't be derived from the file system.  Thus, texmf-doc is
> more or less useless.

I agree with this point.

>   texmf-dist/doc/lang/<language>

I agree with Heiko: putting language at such a high level in the
hierarchy is not very convenient for the user browsing the directories.
By the way, that's exactly why texmf-doc is a problem.

I join with his proposal of

texmf-dist/doc/<package>/lang-<two-letter-code>

I think the lang- prefix is really useful if the information is to be
used by automated tools. For the sake of simplification, (and to void
moving a lot of stuff), the lang-en component could (should) be omited
for most packages, which ship only English documentation.

> texmf-doc is good for.  But is this really a problem?  Did you get any
> complaints from "normal" users?

I have a complaint from my past self, when I was a "normal" user :-)
Arthur says he has complaints too.

Manuel.