[tex-live] (no subject)

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 13:37:48 CET 2009

2009/2/18 Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh at royal-tunbridge-wells.org>:

> T T wrote:
>
>> In all fairness we can't blame the user for following the given
>> advice. It clearly says:
>>
>>  *Renaming it to "C:\Program1" would solve this problem*
>>
>> Too bad that this will actually *CREATE* a problem. It's one of those
>> stupid ideas of M$, you know, how to give (un)helpful advice to the
>> user.
>
> Well, yes and no.  If you look to see what Steve actually
> did, he installed to C:\Program (not to C:\Program files
> or to C:\TeX\Live or whatever).  Now having one directory

He didn't say that he explicitly chose C:\Program location. This could
be a bug, as I pointed out in my previous message. This happened to me
once before as well but I don't remember which revision of the
installer that was.

> called C:\Program and another called C:\Program files
> is indeed asking for trouble, so Microsoft's suggestion
> to rename C:\Program to C:\Program1 wasn't entirely off
> the wall ...  (Mind you, it will still be unclear to

The way in which this information is presented to the user is utterly
stupid. It misleads the user to believe that he actually fixes the
problem, while in fact he creates one. M$ should have known better
than that.

Cheers,

Tomek