[tex-live] packages with characters > 127

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Dec 31 12:52:07 CET 2009

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> writes:

> On Do, 31 Dez 2009, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> another encoding than the author's document), so in my opinion it be
>> best if package authors would stay away from 8-bit encodings if they
>> want to be optimally portable to luatex. Just my 2c.
>
> Umpf, I am not overly content with that.

Some TeX installations work extensively with tcx files and/or MLTeX
(pretty much standard in Poland I seem to remember) and nothing except
7-bit clean style files will work really reliably on such settings.

7-bit clean is definitely a good idea for LaTeX, but having LaTeX barf
otherwise is not a good option -- too many style files and hyphenation
patterns around that have different assumptions.

--
David Kastrup