[tex-live] packages with characters > 127

Elie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Wed Dec 30 17:24:19 CET 2009

texnicien de surface a écrit :
> Well, I assumed that I could use an iso-8859-15 encoding for the
> French version of the documentation.
> If needed I could prepare a utf-8 version but I will need some time
> and my machine back --- broken again :-(

You don't have to do so, documentation is OK, only the .sty files matter
here, as it's important for them to be processed with LuaTeX.

 >For the sty files engpron and paresse I do use an active character
which really is above 127. I don't see how I
> could change that in the near future. I don't even know if I want to
> do it. But in case it's a problem for CTAN, I am
> ready to discuss the future of these files.

Actually you don't have to change you mechanism, you don't even have to
change or delete the .dtx files. The only thing that needs to be done is
to process the .dtx file (to make the .sty file) with TeX (not LaTeX),
because like this the .sty file will contain (for example) ^^a3 instead
of £ directly, and, apart from making it work, this won't change
anything (\catcode`\^^a3 does the same as \catcode`\£ for example).

This can be automatically done by the ctan2tds.zip script that takes the
.dtx on the CTAN and generates the .sty for TeXLive, so theorically you
don't have to change anything on the CTAN.

The thing is, your .ins and .dtx files cannot be processed directly with
tex, they have to be processed through LaTeX, so we can't make the
change in ctan2tds.zip that would fix it.

Would you change your packages to process the .ins/.dtx files through
TeX so that we can fix this? Or would you accept a patch?

Thank you,
--
Elie