[tex-live] Installing xz-utils to unpack TeX ive 2009 on Kubuntu 9.10

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 13:56:35 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:42 AM, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
<chyavana at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Folks,
>
> I have a somewhat preambulary question on installing TeX Live 2009.
>
> I run Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) and wanted to download the packed ISO via
> torrent and generate my own local DVD, as explained at:
>
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-iso.html
>
> Before doing that, I tried to install xz-utils on my system so:
>
> sudo apt-get install xz-utils
>
> and got the following sombre message:
>
> ---
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  lzma
>  xz-utils
> WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
> This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>  lzma (due to dpkg)
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 166kB of archives.
> After this operation, 209kB of additional disk space will be used.
> You are about to do something potentially harmful.
> To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!' ?]
> ---
>
> Needless to say, I aborted the installation of xz-utils at this point.
>
> Can the cognoscenti on this list please advise me what indeed I should do,
> given that I would by far prefer installing a .deb package  to get xz?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Chandra

Use "aptitude" and you will see that xz-utils is intended to replace lzma, so
in this case it should be OK.  On my Ubuntu 9.20 system dpkg-dev (which I
used to create a dummy texlive package so the dependencies of other packages
on texlive are satisfied) depends on lzma, but the dependency is
satisfied by xz-utils.

If something breaks the worst that should happen is that you will need to revert
back to lzma after you have made the DVD, but it appears that the intention is
for xz-utils to replace lzma, so if something does break that is a bug.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia