[tex-live] Will LuaTeX be updated to its latest release?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Dec 16 12:19:26 CET 2009

I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of all this,
but when Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard writes :

> That's why I suggest *not* installing the new LuaTeX executable in bin/yourarch,
> but create a new pseudo-architecture as /bin/yourarch-local. You put the newest
> LuaTeX binaries here, then make symlinks to the regular bin directory for all
> other executables.

would it not be simpler (and avoid any need for symbolic
links) if the LuaTeX executable were to be installed by
the user in (say) /bin/LuaTeX, and the path then modified
to put /bin/LuaTeX earlier in the path than /bin/<architecture> ?

** Phil.