[tex-live] Is tlmgr 2008 now completely unusable?

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Dec 2 05:31:32 CET 2009

Just to emphasise Norbert's comments.

You can install a minimal installation of TL2009, and save space as
you had previously or you can manually install the packages you want
from CTAN, but there may be inconsistencies between individual
packages and those that were on TL2008.

As a maintainer of one of the mirrors (elena.aut.ac.nz) the prospect
of having to ensure sufficient storage space on the server does not
fill me with joy. Each year TeXlive takes quite a bit of disk space,
then if you add to that each successive year's new distribution then
the storage requirements begin to get very large.

For those who volunteer their time to put each year's distributions
together I doubt they would fancy having to support what are
essentially obsoleted distributions. That would become more difficult
as new OS versions are released. When people choose not to upgrade
TeXLive they will most likely expect continuous support so that they
can continue to work on new OS versions that did not exist when a
particular TeXLive distribution was released.

HIH
Alan

--
Alan T Litchfield