[tex-live] Incompatible geometry.sty changes

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 17:41:23 CEST 2009

On Sunday 30 of August 2009 23:16:15 Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:05:53PM +0900, Vladimir Lomov wrote:
>> 2TL list: I found 'geometry.cfg' in texmf-dist/doc/latex/geometry with
>> commented line
>> %\ExecuteOptions{a4paper}
>> We have several options in last tab (Configuration) of tlmgr GUI
>> concerning A4 format: should we add new item to list to switch on
>> a4paper format in geometry or just trigger setting in geometry (say,
>> copy 'geometry.cfg' to texmf-config/tex/latex/geometry without '%'
>> before \Execute...)?
>> I think the second choice is better: we already have item "Default
>> paper for all" in "Configuration" tab.
>
> With \ExecuteOptions{a4paper} in geometry.cfg the following
> document will have the wrong PDF size:
>
> \documentclass[a5paper]{article}
> \usepackage{geometry}
> \begin{document}
> \null
> \end{document}
>
> pdfinfo:
> Page size:      595.276 x 841.89 pts (A4)

Then this is a problem. As Peter noted, when he set paper format using tlmgr he expected
that this will be default when there is not paper setting in document like here
\documentclass{article}
and, I think, he would expect that this
\documtnclass[a5paper]{article}
will reslut in A5 paper format in output document.
Its a bit confusing having A4 format settings in tlmgr which not concern current document
paper format.
I found very little information about paper settings in TeX Live 2008 doc:
http://tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html. Some info about paper format in
dvips can be found here: http://tug.org/texinfohtml/dvips.html. Manual for pdftex also have
some information about paper size.

So, if geometry is an 'interface' to document geometry then I think there should a way to
set default paper format for all documents unless document author choose explicitly other
format.

--
"This is lemma 1.1.  We start a new chapter so the numbers all go back
to one."