[tex-live] pretest update-tlmgr-latest out of sync?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Aug 13 11:18:57 CEST 2009

On Do, 06 Aug 2009, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:
> If I run update-tlmgr-latest.sh from http://texlive.guiling.fr/, I end up
> with the following:
>
> $ tlmgr --version
> tlmgr revision 14543 (2009-08-05 18:36:29 +0200)
> tlmgr using installation: /usr/local/texlive/2009
> TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2009-dev
>
> $ tlmgr show texlive.infra
> Package:    texlive.infra
> [...]
> Installed:  Yes
> Revision:   14543
> Collection: collection-basic
>
> Well and good, but when I then run update --list against the same mirror,
> the installed texlive.infra version is newer than what's on the mirror:
>
> $ tlmgr --location=http://texlive.guiling.fr update --list
> tlmgr: installation location http://texlive.guiling.fr
> Cannot save remote TeX Live database to
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb.e808b2ae228f9521ce26b54ab37d6e4d
> : Permission denied
> texlive.infra: local revision (14543) is newer than revision in
> http://texlive.guiling.fr (14511), not updating.

That is fixed now, the update of the update-tlmgr-latest* programs is
now bound to an acutal update of tlnet.

> As an aside, why is update --list trying to save anything to /usr/local?
> That is likely going to throw off MacTeX users.

Hmmm, that was a wish by many that tlmgr saves the remote tlpdb and
uses that one if not network access is there. So the first time it
downloads it tries also to save it. But I see that I should make
the write fail silently, because a user might call tlmgr search without
having permission to actually save the tlpdb.

Good point, fixed now, should be in tomorrows tlmgr.

Best wishes

Norbert