[tex-live] Incorrect font metric information in LaTeX circle font

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Apr 30 10:18:56 CEST 2009

Rainer Schöpf <rainer.schoepf at latex-project.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> the LaTeX test suite uncovered a problem with at least one tfm file, namely
> lcircle10.tfm from the latex-fonts package. For example, character 27 (O 33)
> should have these metrics:
>
> (CHARACTER O 33
>    (CHARWD R 2.8)
>    (CHARHT R 1.42)
>    (CHARDP R 1.38)
>    )
>
> (freshly generated by mktextfm a few minutes ago),
>
> but the version in texlive has
>
> (CHARACTER O 33
>    (CHARWD R 2.8)
>    (CHARHT R 1.4249935)
>    (CHARDP R 1.375008)
>    )
>
> Note that the baseline is shifted by 0.025pt.
>
> A quick glance over the tftopl output shows the same shift for a lot of the
> characters.
>
> I'd be interested to understand how this happened.

In lcircle.mf, I find

thickness:=ceiling(thickness#*hppp); % the way rules thicknesses are done
% thickness#:=thickness/hppp; % and let thickness# round to right value
% NO, I deleted this BAD line! --- DEK, 9 Jul 87

Maybe this line has snuck back in?  It would show something like this
symptom.

--
David Kastrup