[tex-live] TeX-Live Windows Vista installation

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 16:10:26 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Mathieu Simon <mathieu.sim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm not an experienced TeX user but tried to install TeX Live for a Windows
> Network - because of its better "portability" for a network installation
> compared to MikTeX (because of registry entries - correct me if am wrong).
> First I wanted to file a bug saying "install-tl" didn't work on in Vista x64
> but I had to try other mirrors than mirror.switch.ch. - Normally a very good
> mirror Server in Switzerland.
>
> I allways had missing or bad downloads and finally errors related with
> denied access (UAC turned off and running as admin) in TLConfig.pm. Next I
> forced the Dante mirror where it could not download the texlive.tlpdb,
> finally I succeeded by using fu-berlin.de. Texlive & tlmgr now work like a
> charm - *fortunately*.
>
> So I believe that its neither a Vista, nor a x64 related problem but more a
> problem with the mirrors. Although SWITCHMirror seems to be updated
> regularly accoring to dante.de/mirmon ... any idea?

The internet isn't what it used to be.  In my experience network installs are
only for those fortunate enough to have a good local mirror.  Also, many
large organizations (and service providers) use traffic shaping that may
affect downloads.  There are good tools to mirror the TL install directories
and can work with traffic shaping by limiting bandwidth or inserting
delays between connection attempts.   Some traffic shaping is based on
priorities, so your downloads are affected by what other people are doing.
I find it works best (from Nova Scotia) to arrange mirroring to use a European
server in a late evening here (early AM in Europe).

MiKTeX users here are also encountering problems with mirrors, so
it is not just TL that suffers.

> I also had the problem when restarting the setup after errors due to spaces
> in the path name its installed wrong - I saw that you already talked on the
> list and there already is a fix in the svn. - Thumbs up for your work on
> tlmgr!
>
> Mathieu

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia