[tex-live] [texlive] dviout requires locally installed folder

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Thu Apr 9 03:21:53 CEST 2009

At Wed Apr 8 14:14:06 CEST 2009, you wrote:

>That means to me: Either the TeXLive 2008 to a USB stick fails (because
>TeXLive still requires a local folder C:\Dokumjente und
>Einstellungen\christine\.texlive2008) or dviout has a tiny bug because
>dviout still requires the local folder.

You probably need to edit the texmf.cnf files (usually there's one in
/texmf/web2c/ and sometimes there's another one in the parent directory
of /texmf/). The default value of some variables start out "~/", which
means the user's home directory, and is interpreted in windows to be
the appropriate subdirectory of "Documents and Settings" (english
language windows).

One probably needs to change them all to the similarly named
subdirectory on the USB stick. One can edit the main file
/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf. or create (if necessary) and edit
one in the parent of /texmf/. The latter one should be read
first and the first value to be read is the one that prevails.

I believe all the relevant variables are TEXMFVAR, TEXMFHOME and
TEXMFCONFIG. I have changed them all from the time I installed
tex live 2008 so they point (resp.) to the main texmf-var, the
texmf-local and the main texmf-config. This has caused no problems,
(but then I am administrator of a single-user system). You might
need to arrange for other directories based on the windows variable
%USERNAME% if there are multiple users.

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas