[tex-live] pdftex and other binaries updates

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Sep 25 02:11:06 CEST 2008

    I am a bit confused: I noticed that tlmgr updates binaries almost
    every day despite the fact that their compilation dates 5 weeks ago.

Well, I updated the fmtutil script yesterday, so that would account for
some of them.

Regarding dvipsk, though, only the Windows binary was updated (not for
any very important reason).  I'm wildly guessing that that unnecessarily
triggered updating of bin-dvipsk.universal-darwin.  The actual darwin
binaries haven't changed since r10023 (September 11), and tlpdb
correctly says r10023 for bin-dvipsk.universal-darwin.

Norbert?

    sudo tlmgr --location=http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008 update --all

What would help a lot in this kind of debugging is to see the revision
numbers involved, ie, why it thought it needed to be updated.

1) Victor, can you please run --list or --dry-run first to get them?

2) Norbert, can you hack tlmgr to show the rev numbers when it actually
   does the updates?  (Sorry if our test version is already doing this.)

karl