[tex-live] prolems running latex in tex-live

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Sep 20 10:47:49 CEST 2008

Hi Ralph,

(your question is BTW not really belonging here, because what you are
using the the Debian (Ubuntu) version of TeX Live, which is packaged
quite different. The launchpad bug or any user group of Ubuntu would be
the right place to ask these questions)

On Fr, 19 Sep 2008, Ralph Boland wrote:
> I had had tex-live running successfully for a while but recently tried to

Does "successfully" mean that you could compile documents with
	(pdf)latex
?

>         kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt

That should *NOT* happen. Formats are pregenearted on Debian, thus also
on Ubuntu.

>         tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig)
> not found.
>         fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.

Your installation seems to be hosed.

Can you call
	update-texmf
and send the output of
	ls -l /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

>         1) Are these settings the source of my problem.

No

>          3)  If they are not how do I do a proper reinstall.
>               I assume I have modified or created a file somewhere
>               that is affecting the reinstall but I don't know which file.

I can only assume that you have some locally modified texmf.cnf

> TEXMFMAIN=/usr/share/texmf

That is fine. Do you have
	/usr/share/texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr
present?