[tex-live] verbatimcopy package missing

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Wed Sep 17 17:26:16 CEST 2008

Am Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:50:09 +0200 schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

>> I have a book about LaTeX that I'd like
>> to upload to CTAN but it is released without sources, so that will never
>> make it to TL, but miktex users will get it....
>>
> I don't know how Christian proceeds, but he claims on miktex's web page
> that it consists only of free software too.

A pdf-file is not "non-free" only because there is no accompagnying
tex-file. But TeXLive not only wants free software but open source
software.

This leads in the case of documentation to some curious sources. E.g.
csquotes.tex contains the following text:

% This is the source of csquotes.pdf. This file is primarily included
% in the distribution for legal reasons. It will not compile as is
% because it depends on unpublished classes and packages.

I sometimes wonder how minimal a source can be and still count as a
source in the legal sense.

--
Ulrike Fischer