[tex-live] tlmgr testing, pretty please

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Fri Sep 12 20:04:00 CEST 2008

On Fri 12th Sep, 2008 at 19:44, Norbert Preining seems to have written:

> Hi all!
>
> On Fr, 12 Sep 2008, George N. White III wrote:
>> $ tlmgr --version
>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>
> PLEASE ignore this error!!! It is NOT a real one. It only happens when
> you download the tlmgr.pl from the web page. In that case the top code
> line is:
> 	my $svnrev = '$Revision$';
> while in the real package it is created from a checkout and thus
> $Revision$ will be expanded to the revision number, as in my file
> 	my $svnrev = '$Revision: 10562 $';
>
> So that is NOT a bug.
>
> Still, I have fixed it so that it will report
> 	unknown

I thought the error I was seeing with the trial version of tlmgr was
the same error but now I'm not sure. So just in case:

I tried to set the default install location back to its default value
since there seemed little point in testing the trial version with a
static installation site (which I'd previously set as a work around).

i.e. tlmgr option location
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008

Result:

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 842, <TMP> line 90451.
Setting default installation location to !
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line
835, <TMP> line 90451.

The attempt set the default installation location to the empty string,
I think. At least, checking it got:

Default installtion location:

This seemed so similar to the bug people were seeing when checking the
version I thought it was probably the same. But this *does* seem like a
real bug...?

- cfr