[tex-live] Tex Live 2008 in Vista - installation won't start

Harald Koenig koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Sep 11 18:56:41 CEST 2008

On Sep 10, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Mi, 10 Sep 2008, Ivan Sutoris wrote:
> > F:\>install-tl.bat
> > Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 1649
> > ..
> > Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUti
> > ls.pm line 1650.
>
> Can anyone with Vista try that in a small perl program? It should work.
>
> > Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm lin
>
> Ouch ...???? Siep, do you have an idea?

today I tried the TL2008 installation on Vista 64 Ultimate SP1 + updates
and it worked "fine" for me.

minor(?) details:

installation into the default path (C:/Programme (x86)/ ...) did not work for me
("no permissions bla bla" -- right mouse button "starting as admin" did not help),
so I tried to install into my $home hitting the next problem with the
german vista setup, me knowing close to nothing about non-X11-windows and M$;) :

the explorer showed C:/Benutzer/Harald where again I got "wrong/missing permissions"
as install path/root -- I had to enter ~/... or C:/Users/Harald and installation
when fine (but quite slow compared to Linux -- both using a usb stick with *.tar.lzha
packages;)   btw: in cmd.exe "dir c:/benutzer/" doesn't work either, it seems that
only the explorer does this translation from Users to Benutzer -- thanks M$ :-(

Harald
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\