[tex-live] babel - problem

Joanna Ryćko typoagrafka at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 15:45:14 CEST 2008

Hello,

I installed TL08 today under Win XP and I'm experiencing a big (for
me) problem with the babel package. Everytime, I compile a file (with
pdflatex), which loads the babel package (with any language-option) I
get the following error:

(c:/Programme/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
Package: babel 2008/07/06 v3.8l The Babel package

(c:/Programme/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/ngermanb.ldf
Language: ngermanb 2008/07/06 v2.6n new German support from the babel system

(c:/Programme/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.def
File: babel.def 2008/07/06 v3.8l Babel common definitions

! Undefined control sequence.
\main at language ...bbl at main@language \bbl at patterns
                                                  {\languagename }
l.131 \main at language{english}

The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.131 \main at language{english}

You're in trouble here.  Try typing  <return>  to proceed.
If that doesn't work, type  X <return>  to quit.

\babel at savecnt=\count88
\U at D=\dimen103
)
\l at naustrian = a dialect from \language\l at ngerman
Package babel Info: Making " an active character on input line 92.

! Undefined control sequence.
\main at language ...bbl at main@language \bbl at patterns
                                                  {\languagename }
l.142 \ldf at finish\CurrentOption

The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

))

In that case it was compiled with the option ngerman. It's a serious
problem for me, because I need TeX for my work and I'm in a hurry...
The only solution, which I see now is to download and install MikTeX,
but it also will take about 1-2 hours.
I persume, it's maybe a problem of babel not the installation itself,
but maybe it is a matter of some configuration file, which needs to be
corrected. I didn't have this problem with my previous installation of
TL08, which was about 2-3 months old.

Here the minimal example:
  \documentclass{report}
  \usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
  \begin{document}
  \end{document}

I would be really thankfull, if you could help,

Joanna