[tex-live] TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation)

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:20:41 CEST 2008

2008/9/8 Harald Koenig <koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>:
> Hi,
>
> first, congratulations for the release of TeXlive 2008 and for all your work,
> BUT...
>
> On May 21 2007, Martin Schröder wrote:
>
>> 2007/5/21, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>:
>>> This is strange, and abnormal. I assume that the DMA mode for the CDROM
>>> drive was disabled. It is true that it takes some time, but 4h is too
>>> much.
>>
>> I think 2h is normal (Harald König tested it repeatedly), and even
>> that is much too long.
>
> you did it again (and this time even worse):

I have tried network install just now on my office computer while
diffing 30+ GiB set of files over local network at the same time.
Installation time including format generation was 9 minutes and 14
seconds. it will be much worse at home over ADSL. I assume 150 minutes
(based on my previous experience).

> the TeXlive 2008 iso image does only contain fully expanded/uncompressed "live" directories
> and does not (additionally) provide zip files for fast installation.
>
> even worse in 2008: you don't provide any install-only iso image (CD or DVD size I don't really care at first).
>
> right now I'm running an installation from DVD drive (with SUSE 10.1, 2 GB free ram and fast disk/cpu)
> and after ~15 minutes it's just with "Installing: ebsthesis" (in alphabetical order I guess)
> and "du -s" right now shows "516M    total" from estimat4ed 1700+ Mbytes.
>
> I'll follow up installation times and other statistics once the installation is done
> (I'll plan a 2nd installation run on my T61p notebook with SUSE 11.0, stay tuned ...;)
>
> so again, installing TeXlive from an optical media is no fun at all -- which is very pitty...
> and it's just impossible to "quickly" install a decent TeXlive e.g. when visiting
> a friend or customer, or when someone interested in TeX shows up at a local TeX pub meeting
> or whatever.
>
> installation times of 60+++ minutes just for TeX is _very_ sad :-(
> a fullfledged SUSE 11.0 installation with almost everything (~7+ Gbyte)
> just took ~35 minutes alltogether on my T61p (includung full texlive 2007 from suse rpms;-)
>

> what about
> - creating a DVD-size iso image with zip files ?
> - creating a DVD image with both live tree and additional zip files ?
>

> the current situation is _very_ suboptimal IMHO...
>

> anyway, I'm really happy about TeXlive 2008, now only the wrapping and packaging
> has to get optimized a bit;)
>

> Harald
> --
> "I hope to die                                      ___       _____
> before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\
> Donald E. Knuth, 02-Oct-2001 in Tuebingen.        <_/  /  /OOOOOOOOOOO\
>                                                    \  \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
>                                                      \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
> Harald Koenig                                           //  /     \\  \
> koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de                     ^^^^^       ^^^^^

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/