[tex-live] Problem with tlmgr online update behind proxy (SuSE 11.0)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Sep 5 02:19:59 CEST 2008

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for the report.

    - tlmgr gui starts the GUI, but then I cannot enter anything, just
      the selection of selection boxes and placing the cursor works. But
      I cannot edit anything. I assume this is a problem with Perl-TK?

So it would seem.

      I use SuSE Linux 11.0, unfortunately there is no SuSE under
      http://tug.org/texlive/distro.html#perltk

That list is just what people have told us so far, we (I) can hardly
check out every distro in the world :).  Can you tell us what the
command is for SuSE?  (Well, I guess you already have it installed, so
I guess this is irrelevant.)

I can only suggest installing the original Perl::TK from CPAN in case
SuSE modifications are somehow interacting badly with TL, or (easier)
forget about the gui tlmgr ... or maybe Perl::TK doesn't work right on
SuSE in the first place?  I have no info one way or the other.

    .wgetrc: --proxy-user="sct2si1" --proxy-password="xxxxxxxx"
    --proxy="http://10.4.102.12:8080"

Ah.  Try setting an environment variable named TL_DOWNLOAD_ARGS to those
arguments, plus -q -O (at the end), as in:

TL_DOWNLOAD_ARGS='--proxy-user="sct2si1" --proxy-password="xxxxxxxx" --proxy="http://10.4.102.12:8080" -q -O'
export TL_DOWNLOAD_ARGS

(or setenv if you use [t]csh, but I expect you knew that. :)

If this works, I'll write something about it in the docs.

Karl