[tex-live] tlmgr broken?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Oct 29 22:32:51 CET 2008

On Mi, 29 Okt 2008, Jobst Hoffmann wrote:
> Thank you for your help, tlmgr is working again.

Good to hear.

> A little additional request: I had a problem to find out, which package
> I had to reinstall; I finally managed that by downloading the file from
> the svn repository (is that the intended way?).

well, there are simpler way, but not in your case, because tlmgr was not
working ...

Normally you can do
	tlmgr search --file tlmgr
or something similar (see man page or texdoc tlmgr).

In your case because tlmgr was broken you could just open
	<ROOT>/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
(where <ROOT> is the installation directory, normally
/usr/local/texlive/2008) and search the respective file. Then scroll up
for the next
	name XXXXXX
and XXXXX will be the package.

In short time there will be a auto-exec for unix, too...

Best wishes

Norbert