[tex-live] Missing \endcsname errors when trying to insert MetaPost graphic into PDF

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Fri Oct 24 01:41:38 CEST 2008

I am having problems getting a graphic output by MetaPost into my PDF.

Here are the messages I'm getting:

[43] [44]
File: figure1.mps Graphic file (type mps)
 [MP to PDF] (./figure1.mps
! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   }
l.12 ...rordict begin /undefined {} bind def end}
                                                  if
The control sequence marked <to be read again> should
not appear between \csname and \endcsname.

! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   }
l.15 ...6666 0 0] 4 index imagemask pop grestore}
                                                  bind def
The control sequence marked <to be read again> should
not appear between \csname and \endcsname.

! Extra \endcsname.
\dohandleMPsequenceB ...:N:\somestring \endcsname
                                                  \csname
\@@MP :N:\somestri... l.15 ...6666 0 0] 4 index imagemask pop grestore}
                                                  bind def
I'm ignoring this, since I wasn't doing a \csname.

! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   }
l.15 ...6666 0 0] 4 index imagemask pop grestore}
                                                  bind def
The control sequence marked <to be read again> should
not appear between \csname and \endcsname.

! Extra \endcsname.
<recently read> \endcsname

... and a lot more like this.

Help! Any suggestions?

I'm using Tex Live 2008 on Linux (same problem on Tex Live 2007).

--
Robin