[tex-live] How to make TexLive 2008 the default TeX system?

Guoqin Ren renguoqin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 18:15:35 CEST 2008

I have installed Tex Live 2008 and Kile 2.0 on my FreeBSD machine. Kile
works well. But I'm not sure if Kile is using TexLive or things like tetex.

The tex version I use is rather old: kpathsea version 3.5.4. I guess
Texlive 2008 should includes kpathsea version 3.5.7.

# tex -version
TeX 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.4)
kpathsea version 3.5.4
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 D.E. Knuth.
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty. Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the TeX copyright and
the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and the TeX source.
Primary author of TeX: D.E. Knuth.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.