[tex-live] How about auto-download of classes/styles etc. ?

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Mon Oct 13 10:45:30 CEST 2008

Am Sun, 12 Oct 2008 20:22:55 +0100 (BST) schrieb cfrees at imapmail.org:

> I also don't like things which try to auto download and install
> software "of their own accord" and would personally never enable such
> an option. (Or would do what I could to disable it.) But the
> complications I'm thinking of above are independent of that concern.

You are overcomplicating things. Miktex has such an on-the-fly
installation for years: If a file is missing and miktex knows through
its database in which package it is it can install it during
installation. It doesn't do it against your wishes.  You can disable the
on-the-fly installation completly, or you can setup things so that
miktex asks you before each installation. In any case you simply get the
newest version of the package -- like you would if you would install it
manually from CTAN or through the package manager.

The thing is useful to fetch packages which are new on CTAN. It is also
useful if you don't want to download and install tons of packages you
never use. It also helps to keep the list of updates small as miktex
shows me only updates for installed packages.

And if my internet connection is down or if I need an old version: I
have enough CD's and DVD's with CTAN images.

--
Ulrike Fischer