[tex-live] How about auto-download of classes/styles etc. ?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 20:38:47 CEST 2008

2008/10/12 Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>> On So, 12 Okt 2008, Edd Barrett wrote:
>>> I think what I was asking is, do you think it is a useful idea?
>>
>> Of course, but good luck implementing it ;-) Or you can ask CS for the
>> code?
>
> Great idea to create a bloody mess: one adds a new package, then this
> package is snatched but it requires another package which is not on
> the computer or the newer version of the package which is already
> there and in turn ... and all this is while one is traveling with no
> or lousy internet connection and all this just to save a fistful of
> gigs not sufficient even for  one HD movie

AFAIK auto download can be disabled in MiKTeX. It is no problem in
principle to add some configuration setting for enabling/disabling it.
Or it may say: "I am going to download a missing package. Do you want
me to do it?" All users thus can be satisfied, those who like auto
download as well as those who do not like it and wish to do it always
manually.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/