[tex-live] Install Texlive 2008 "The Pirate Bay" website --- uncompressed

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Oct 8 23:27:17 CEST 2008

Hi,
I'm wondering whether a completely different approach is feasible,
completely avoiding torrents at all.  I just tried

   wget http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/Images/texlive2008-20080822.iso.lzma

and got:

Connecting to mirror.ctan.org|142.132.30.225|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/mirror/ctan/systems/texlive/Images/texlive2008-20080822.iso.lzma [following]

I aborted the download and tried again.  This time mirror.ctan.org
directed me to ftp.join.uni-muenster.de.

Download speed was excellent, my DSL connection was the bottleneck.

Isn't this exactly what we need?  And nothing else?

Maybe I miss something.  But I think that this solution has a lot of
advantages:

  1. Simplicity: A link to mirror.ctan.org in texlive/acquire.html is
     sufficient.  People can click on it and get the ISO image.  No
     explanations and no extra software is needed, and no other web
     sites advertising unsolicited stuff are involved.

  2. Maintainability: The script which directs requests to CTAN to
     CTAN mirrors is obviously maintained by the CTAN team.  With
     other words, it's under their control.

  3. Independency:  Nobody else but tug.org and CTAN maintainers are
     involved.

And everything needed exists already and is well maintained.

Is it reasonable to go this way and to simply remove links to the
torrents?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25