[tex-live] Install Texlive 2008 "The Pirate Bay" website --- uncompressed

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Oct 8 12:17:26 CEST 2008

Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 11:29:11AM +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>> >
>> No, this is NOT censorship. Censorship means that we refuse someone
>> else's rights but no one here wrote that pornographic industry has no
>> right for advertisement. But people must NEVER be forced to accept any
>> advertisement. If you consider this as censorship, then all antispam
>
> I agree. But here the question is not ads or no ads, but which ad.
> I would also prefer no ad, but if there is, discriminating against
> specific ads is censorship.

So if you are wearing any clothes at all, picking a particular color is
censorship?  If you only buy particular papers rather than grabbing the
first off the counter, that is censorship?

Others call that choice.  You are arguing against us having a choice.  I
don't see what this has to do with freedom.

>> filters are censorship and must be forbidden. Do you still think that
>> you must read every byte that comes through your computer, otherwise
>> it is censorship?
>
> No. But this is not the right analogy.

Your opinion does not agree with mine, and apparently with those of
others.  Repeating it is not likely to change that.

dict censorship
[...]

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

  censorship
       n 1: counterintelligence achieved by banning or deleting any
            information of value to the enemy [syn: {censoring}, {security
            review}]
       2: deleting parts of publications or correspondence or
          theatrical performances [syn: {censoring}]

We are not deleting anything.  We are just choosing a different channel.
The logical conclusion of your argument is that choice implies
censorship and unfreedom.

--
David Kastrup