[tex-live] height of \tilde

Tammo Jan Dijkema T.J.Dijkema at uu.nl
Wed Oct 1 16:38:36 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I don't like the way the \tilde command works in LaTeX. I'd like it to
be a little lower, especially in the command \tilde{\ell}.

I've tried hacking in the example of the comprehensive symbols list,
but couldn't get it to work as I wanted (I'm not an expert in TeX).
Perhaps someone here can help me out?

What I would really want is a command \mytilde with two parameters,
one of which controls the height of the overtilde. A problem seems to
be the height of the limits after the new sign, they should be at the
same height as when the tilde wouldn't have been there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tammo Jan.

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\DeclareMathSymbol{\tildesign}{\mathrel}{operators}{"7E}

\makeatletter
\def\mytilde#1{\mathop{
\vbox{
   \ialign{
     ##\crcr\noalign{\kern3\p@}
     \hspace{0.1em}$\tildesign$
     \crcr\noalign{\kern-6.3\p@\nointerlineskip}
     $\displaystyle{#1}$
     \crcr
     }
   }
}
\limits}
\makeatother

\begin{document}
$xxx\tilde{\ell}_3^+xxx \mytilde{\ell}_3^+ xxx$

\end{document}