[tex-live] Docstrip woes

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 11:08:10 CET 2008

Hello all,

To create TDS-ready zip files, I have a short batch file set up on on
Windows system.  Using MiKTeX, the following docstrip.cfg file

\immediate\write18{mkdir tds}
\BaseDirectory{./tds}
\UseTDS

allows me to unpack everything into <current dir>/tds/<whatever the ins
says>.  However, if I try the same with TeXLive, I get:

This is TeX, Version 3.1415926 (Web2C 7.5.7) (format=tex 2008.11.26)  26
NOV 2008 10:00
\write18 enabled.

[snip]

Utility: `docstrip' 2.5d <2005/07/29>

[snip]

* Using Configuration file docstrip.cfg. *

(./docstrip.cfg
system(mkdir tds)...executed.

system(mkdir tds)...executed.

system(mkdir tds)...executed.

system(mkdir tds)...executed.

system(mkdir tds)...executed.

system(mkdir tds)...executed.

))
Generating siunitx files:

Generating file(s) jawltxdoc.sty
\openout0 = `jawltxdoc.sty'.

Processing file siunitx.dtx (jawltxdoc) -> jawltxdoc.sty
Lines  processed: 13640
Comments removed: 8262
Comments  passed: 0
Codelines passed: 5316

Generating file(s) ./tds/tex/latex/siunitx/siunitx.sty
! I can't write on file `./tds/tex/latex/siunitx/siunitx.sty'.
<to be read again>
                   \edef
\WritePreamble ...#1\endcsname \empty \else \edef
                                                  \outFileName
{\@stripstrin...

\openoutput ... at ne \StreamOpen #1\WritePreamble #1
                                                  \else \@addto
\refusedfile...

\readsource ...iles \empty \csname b@#1\endcsname
                                                  \Name \let
{b@#1}\refusedf...

\processinputfiles ...putfiles \empty \inputfiles
                                                  \let \inputfiles
\newinput...

\generate ...eName \endcsname }\processinputfiles
                                                  \endgroup
l.117 }

(Press Enter to retry, or Control-Z to exit; default file extension is
`.tex')
Please type another output file name:

Where the .ins file reads:

\input docstrip.tex
\keepsilent
\askforoverwritefalse
\preamble
 The siunitx package --- A comprehensive (SI) units package
 Maintained by Joseph Wright
 E-mail: joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
 Released under the LaTeX Project Public License v1.3c or later
 See http://www.latex-project.org/lppl.txt

\endpreamble
\Msg{Generating siunitx files:}
\generate{\file{jawltxdoc.sty}{\from{\jobname.dtx}{jawltxdoc}}
}
\usedir{tex/latex/siunitx}
\generate{\file{\jobname.sty}{\from{\jobname.dtx}{package}}
}

%%% etc.

\endbatchfile
\endinput

Any ideas what is wrong: either I am getting something wrong or there is
a subtle difference in the way TeXLive and MiKTeX handle this. For
comparison, the MiKTeX log for exactly the same operation reads:

This is TeX, Version 3.1415926 (MiKTeX 2.7) (preloaded format=tex
2008.11.18)  26 NOV 2008 10:03

[snip]

Utility: `docstrip' 2.5d <2005/07/29>

[snip]

* Using Configuration file docstrip.cfg. *

(docstrip.cfg
system(mkdir tds)...executed.

system(mkdir tds)...executed.

system(mkdir tds)...executed.

system(mkdir tds)...executed.

system(mkdir tds)...executed.

system(mkdir tds)...executed.

))
Generating siunitx files:

Generating file(s) jawltxdoc.sty

Processing file siunitx.dtx (jawltxdoc) -> jawltxdoc.sty
Lines  processed: 13640
Comments removed: 8262
Comments  passed: 0
Codelines passed: 5316

Generating file(s) ./tds/tex/latex/siunitx/siunitx.sty

Processing file siunitx.dtx (package) -> siunitx.sty
Lines  processed: 13640
Comments removed: 8262
Comments  passed: 0
Codelines passed: 5316