[tex-live] porting a TeXLive-Installation to another PC

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Nov 24 12:17:38 CET 2008

On Mo, 24 Nov 2008, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> > contains the installer, some documentation, and a tlpkg/ directory.
> > But there is no texlive.tlpdb in install-tl/tlpkg/, hence some work is
> > still necessary.
> >
> Btw this is quite unfortunate. Can't we make it easier to download
> packages from ctan's tlnet and install from there?

I thought about that. The only thing needed is:

$ cd tlnet/2008
$ mv tlpkg tlpkg.save
$ mv install-tl/tlpkg .
$ mv tlpkg.save/texlive.tlpdb* tlpkg/
$ mv install-tl install-tl-unpacked
$ mv install-tl-unpacked/install-tl* .

Then one can run directly from that place ...

In install-tl-unpacked remains:
	doc.html      LICENSE.TL	readme-txt.dir/
	index.html    README		README.usergroups
	LICENSE.CTAN  readme-html.dir/	release-texlive.txt
which can also be moved.

KARL: What about changing the layout as is?

Advantage: Installation from rsync of CTAN will work directly
Disadvantage: cluttered tlnet/2008

Other opinions?

Best wishes

Norbert