[tex-live] porting a TeXLive-Installation to another PC

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 22:03:45 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Andreas Hirsch <afj at gmx.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm teaching a LaTeX-course at school and (as always) there are some
> problems for the kids to get TeX running at home.
>
> In special, some of my pupils have no or a bad internet-connection.
>
> I've downloaded the iso - but this is freezed as of august 2008.
>
> Is ist possible to copy an up-to-date installation of TeXLive to another
> PC? Is changing the PATH-Variable enough for runnig?

I did an install to one system with binaries for all the various platforms I
use, including Windows, then copied the tree around to the systems that
don't have reliable NFS access (laptops, Win XP).   Setting the PATH is
all that is really necessary to use TL2008 in Win XP.    There is a bit more
work if you want to restrict the list of binaries in the copies (but if you
only have linux and windows) it might be best to create separate
installs.

Another option is to do a minimal install from the release version
and then provide a DVD with a snapshot of the current files for a local
update "location".

For Mac there were some issues with Tk support for the
GUI -- I think MacTeX includes a fix, so you might want to just use
the .dmg files for MacTeX and an update mirror DVD.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia