[tex-live] Problem installing texlive2008

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 00:15:26 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Venkatesh, P.C. <VenkateshP at sec.gov> wrote:

> Hi, I inserted the new DVD and tried to install TexLive, and got the
> following error messages.
>
> My machine is a DELL desktop running Windows XP Professional 2002,
> service pack 2.
>
> I do have TexLive2007 installed already---don't know if this is causing
> the problem.
>
> Was able to install successfully on my laptop [also a windows machine,
> but did not have TexLive 2007 on it.]
>
> Thanks for any help

Others have reported problems when TL2007 is already installed.
There are several environment variables set or adjusted by TL2007.
You may find a list in the archives, but it should not be hard to determine
which ones need to be changed -- certainly PATH and PERL5LIB.
I have a Win2k system with MikTeX, TL2007, and TL2008 all installed,
and can switch amoung them by adjusting the environment.  MiKTeX
also sets things in the registry, but nothing that affects TeX Live.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia