[tex-live] Rsync, a different question

Philip TAYLOR Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Tue Nov 11 10:15:35 CET 2008

Wolfgang, thank you too for your observations.
Bu in this case, I am not convinced by your
arguments :

> The kind of loops you intend to use
> are in my opinion the wrong way. All you get is a large traffic
> on the network and large load on the server.

Are either of these the case ?  The problem arose when
a "reset by peer" caused Rsync to bomb out before
completing its mirroring.  I asked if Rsync supported
"/retries=" or "/retry", and (I think it was Norbert)
suggested that it didn't but a simple iteration should
suffice.  I used iteration successfully, but had no way
of knowing the correct upper bound, and then another
contributor suggested a Repeat or While loop, checking
the return status of Rsync.  These seem to me to be
exactly what is needed : they retry only as often as
necessary, and I(as far as I can see), impose hardly
any greater load than the first Rsync would have
done had it run to completion.

** Phil.