[tex-live] AUCTeX state

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun May 11 00:52:53 CEST 2008

Ralf Angeli writes:

 > Emacs 22.2 for Windows already comes with libXpm.dll equipped, so it
 > should not be overwritten.

Hi Ralf,
I noticed that.  It's not overwritten.  The old version had a
different name, xpm4.dll, or similar.

 >>   bin/libpng13.dll
 >>   bin/libtiff3.dll
 >>   bin/zlib1.dll
 >
 > The PNG library needs updating.  There is a newer version available by
 > the GnuWin32 project.

Do you mean http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libpng.htm ?  The
version there is 1.2.24 which seems to be older.  Under the assumption
that libpng13.dll is version 1.3, at least.  Can you provide a link to
a newer version?

 >> What is still missing is jpeg62.dll which we did't include in the past
 >> but I found a Windows dll on sourceforge.  No problem for me to
 >> include it too.
 >
 > I refrained from including it in the past because I was not sure about
 > the state of patents on JPEG.

Hmm, can anybody provide more information about the legal stuff?
AFAIK jpeg6b is included in so many programs that I doubt that there
are any problems.

I'm not a lawyer.  I simply assume that everything which is good for
Debian is also good for TeX Live.  The Debian guys are quite careful
about the legal stuff and I think I can rely on them.

I'm a bit more reluctant about GIF support.  AFAIK the patents expired
a few years ago and libungif circumvented them anyway.  But I'm quite
infamiliar with the legal stuff.  Is libungif in Debian?

If we provide libungif we certainly have to include the sources too.
All the other image libs are already in the TeX Live Build tree.  On
the other hand I don't think that GIF support is very important at all.
I personally have no problems not supporting GIF.

 >>> One can also set the variables `woman-manpath' and
 >>> `Info-directory-list'.
 >>
 >> Yes, this is what I had in mind, but instead of hard-code the TeX Live
 >> paths here, determine them by using kpsewhich.
 >>
 >> On Unix:
 >>   infodir=`kpsewhich --var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT`/texmf/doc/info
 >>   mandir=`kpsewhich --var-value=SELFAUTOPARENT`/texmf/doc/man
 >>
 >> This would be quite convenient and I suppose that auctex already
 >> determines the path to the LaTeX macro packages this way.
 >
 > Yes, when providing completion alternatives for stuff like \input or
 > \usepackage.  This requires, however, that `kpsewhich' is in PATH.  (Of
 > course the same is true for `latex' and similar binaries.)

Yes, it will only work with web2c based distributions.  But do
non-web2c distributions provide manpages and info files at all?  Then
it would be sufficient to check whether kpsewhich is in PATH.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25