[tex-live] [Dev-luatex] aleph -> luatex

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Mon Mar 31 00:15:35 CEST 2008

> The Aleph team has declared that Aleph development has been halted for
> some time; efforts are concentrated on luatex now.  Therefore they
> recommend that TeX Live simply make the "aleph" executable a link to
> luatex.  So I plan to implement that recommendation.

I strongly disagree, at least at the current point. I am myself using
Aleph as an alternative to Omega (Aleph has less bugs), and luatex
DOES NOT produce the same results. It still hangs with complex LaTeX
files. I suggest you do that symlink only once we are sure that we get
the same results and that every file which compiles with Aleph/Omega
also compiles with luatex.

Maybe what luatex does is enough for the "aleph guys", but this is not
a reason to remove it from the distribution and replace it with
something not compatible. You should rather care for people that
actually use aleph and do not want their files to be broken because
some (smart) guy said "luatex does the same thing we don't need aleph
anymore". I'm not asking for any evolution of aleph, just leave it
where it is and as it is. Or let people choose whether they want the
real thing or the symlink.

cheers

Yannis

+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| TELECOM
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.