[tex-live] can you suggest where I can get help

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 18:29:10 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 6:21 PM, John Wilkins
<wilkins at mps.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
> Karl,
>
>  I am preparing a grant proposals that has to go thur grants.gov
>  and I am trying to do it with pdftex since some of figures come by a
>  route that missed postscript going into Type1 pdf direct.

Others have suggested reading the pdftex manual.  In the interest of
covering all the options, there are two other ways to proceed:

1) you _can_ get EPS from PDF.  The easy way to handle this is with
Siep Kroonenberg's epspdf <http://tex.aanhet.net/epspdf/>, which
wraps ghostscript and some pdftops (from xpdf) in ruby scripts.
Adobe Illustrator CS can open pdf files and save to variety of
formats.

2)   LaTeX provides wrappers that mask the new mechanisms.   These
can be made to work with eplain
<http://www.tug.org/docs/html/eplain/Packages-known-to-work.html>,
perhaps with the aid of miniltx.

>  But I can't figure out how to include them.  \special doesn't work for
>  me, and I don't know why.  The latest install July 2007 was TEX Live
>  2007.
>
>  Can someone tell me how to do something as simple as
>
>  \vbox{\hbox(with fig.pdf) \hbox{figure caption}.
>  of
>  \hbox{\vbox(with fig.pdf) \vbox{figure caption}.
>
>  that will run under pdftex.
>
>  I will be eternally grateful.
>
>  I feel like an idiot.  I have always been able to do stuff on my own
>  before.  I must be too old and gone soft in the head.

No -- just one of those Rip van Winkle moments
when the world has been changed behind your back.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia