[tex-live] can you suggest where I can get help

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 10:20:34 CET 2008

2008/3/27, John Wilkins <wilkins at mps.ohio-state.edu>:
> Karl,
>
>  I am preparing a grant proposals that has to go thur grants.gov
>  and I am trying to do it with pdftex since some of figures come by a
>  route that missed postscript going into Type1 pdf direct.
>
>  But I can't figure out how to include them.  \special doesn't work for
>  me, and I don't know why.  The latest install July 2007 was TEX Live
>  2007.

\special is used to instruct dvi driver (e.g. dvips) to include the
image when processing the dvi file. If you create pdf directly by
pdftex, you have to use new primitives that are mapped to the pdf
command. I suppose that youo use plain TeX. If you do not need
rescaling, the following will work:

\pdfximage page <number> {fig.pdf}\pdfrefximage \pdflastximage

page <number> specifies which page from fig.pdf should be inserted. If
omitted, the first page is insrted.

LaTeX users can make use of the graphicx package and even omit the
file extension because the driver (dvips, pdftex) is often recognized
automatically. Thus \includegraphics{fig} will include fig.eps with
dvips and fig.pdf with pdftex. Of course, if fig.pdf contains several
pages and you need the third page, you can use
\includegraphics[page=3]{fig.pdf}

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/