[tex-live] Package documentation

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Mar 28 01:01:49 CET 2008

Zdenek Wagner a écrit :
> 2008/3/28, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr>:
>>  By the way, the same kind of problem happens to me when I type 'texdoc live':
>>  I get the TeX Live manual, right, but in Chinese. So I think another
>>  interesting thing to add to the documentation database possibly extracted from
>>  the catalogue sources would be a language field of any kind, that texdoc could
>>  use.
>>
> It probably depends on a lot of unpredictable things. I get it in
> Russian. Bu what I wrote about manual.dvi in Bengali and
> velthuis/manual.pdf, these two files are manuals for two different
> packages, not just a language version.

Sure. There's far to many documentations named (manual|user).(pdf|ps|dvi) out
there. What I meant, and was maybe not clear, is that one could imagine two
kinds of improvements:
1. Be able to find the documentation for the right package, even when its name
is too "generic".
2. When a package has documentation in many languages (eg, live.pdg,
scrguide.pdf/scrguien.pdf), an additional level of refinement could be to find
all languages and automatically display the one in the user preferred
language. (I noticed the TeX Catalogue pages often link to documentation in
all available languages.)

Of course my point 2 is distinct of your point, but your remark about the
language remembered me of that.

Manuel.