[tex-live] xindy now in build

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Mar 26 01:35:56 CET 2008

1. I fear we should disable xindy by default just now.  Sorry, Vladimir.
   There are too many configuration problems, and there is too much else
   going on (luatex, knuth) just now.  We should be able to get some
   xindy binaries into the distribution in the end, but I think the
   current build is going to fail for just about everyone, one way or
   another.  So let's let the people who can experiment with it enable it.

2. My own build process that I reported yesterday was insufficient.  The
   binary ended up getting dynamically linked with libavcall and
   libcallback, which would make it useless to distribute.  The final
   link line was:

gcc -g -O2 -Igllib -W ... -ldl /usr/local/gnu/lib/libavcall.so
-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/gnu/lib /usr/local/gnu/lib/libcallback.so -o lisp.run

   What finally got a working binary for me was to replace the .so's
   with .a's.  (The libffcall build could create both.)  Whether the
   resulting binary actually works (beyond starting up), I don't know.
   I haven't updated my notes in source/utils/README yet.

   Anyway, obviously manually modifying link lines is a nonstarter in
   terms of a usable build process.  So somehow that has to be changed.
   But I don't know how, since the command is generated by clisp-link.
   I don't think we can even get the command without running it and then
   sed it or something ...

3. libffcall was fairly recently made a GNU package, so it is not
   completely moribund, in the sense that at least the authors cared
   about it enough to request that.  Bruno Haible and Sam Steingold are
   the maintainers (same as clisp).  We could write them about these
   problems and patches, but I suspect fixing things on nonfree systems
   is not going to be a priority for them.  Certainly can't count on it
   happening for our release.

4. Regarding the fancy configure options, I think the right thing to do
   is make it happen inside xindy's configure, by default, given
   our --enable-tetex-build.  I don't really want to add a ton of
   package-specific options to Build.

Maybe the best thing to do is wait for Joachim's new version?

karl