[tex-live] xindy now in build

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Tue Mar 25 16:11:32 CET 2008

Karl Berry wrote:

> Thanks to a lot of hard work by Vladimir, the xindy program
> (http://xindy.org, http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/indexing/xindy/), a
> modern alternative to makeindex, is now included in TeX Live.

Thanks for this effort, it is greatly anticipated.

> For those building TL, this means you now need to install GNU clisp
> and GNU libffcall.  Or else configure --without-xindy.

One should note that there are several reports that xindy does not
compile on x86_64 Linux and FreeBSD systems. Others were
successful. We don't know yet the root cause -- those with systems
where it works could not reconstruct the erroneous cases.

Also, it does not compile on OS X; that's partly because ffcall may
be not there (Jonathan's problem) or because clisp installation has
errors (clisp-link-kit missing an x bit or so).

Upstream (that's mainly me and Jörg Sommer :-) will not repair
these problems. Instead, I'm rewriting the module that needs ffcall
and clisp-link-kit to remove that dependency, and thus resolve that
issue once and for all. (CLISP itself will still be needed, but in
a standard installation, without the capability to compile external
modules outside the source tree.)

Cheers,
	Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod at acm.org