[tex-live] Building texlive 2007 on FreeBSD 7.0 AMD64

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Mar 17 00:23:53 CET 2008

(Combining replies ...)

    latex]\$ ./texlive/trunk/Master/bin/x86_64-unknown-freebsd7.0/pdflatex
    matrix.tex

Unfortunately, you can't invoke an executable via an absolute path and
have everything magically work.  You have to alter PATH.  (In general;
of course there are some specific things you can do via an absolute
path, but nothing involving subprograms, for sure.)

    I just want to install texlive in one directory, setting some TEX*
    variables, adjust PATH and that's it.

That is exactly how it is intended to be installed, and how the default
is configure, except there are no TEX* variables to set.  Just prepend
to PATH.

    Is there any documentation on the web how to install texlive from
    source? The README file in Build/source ends with the build procedure.

I'll try to write something more, somewhere.

    TEXMF="/home/agilis/texlive-branch/branch2007/Master/"
    TEXMFCNF="/home/agilis/texlive-branch/branch2007/Master/texmf/web2c"
    PATH="/home/agilis/texlive-branch/branch2007/Master/bin/x86_64-freebsd8:...."

Many bug reports are sent due to incorrect environment variable
settings.  So as an experiment, can you try without the TEXMF and
TEXMFCNF variables?

Thanks,