[tex-live] Building texlive 2007 on FreeBSD 7.0 AMD64

Michael Krauss mickraus at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 15 19:50:07 CET 2008

Good news, trunk has been build successfully.
How can I "install" texlive now?

On 14/03/08, Randy Au wrote:
> Copied the binaries into Master/bin and used xelatex to build a file.

I have done this, but running any program like pdflatex or texexec
stops because it can't find format file or texmfstart:

[mickraus at gandalf
latex]\$ ./texlive/trunk/Master/bin/x86_64-unknown-freebsd7.0/pdflatex
matrix.tex
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.5 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
---! /home/mickraus/latex/texlive/trunk/Master/web2c/pdflatex.fmt was
written by pdfetex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
[mickraus at gandalf
latex]\$ ./texlive/trunk/Master/bin/x86_64-unknown-freebsd7.0/texexec
con_simple.tex
texmfstart: not found

Is there any documentation on the web how to install texlive from
source? The README file in Build/source ends with the build procedure.

I just want to install texlive in one directory, setting some TEX*
variables, adjust PATH and that's it. It don't need to be available
system wide, the old tetex comes along with FreeBSD ports for programs
that need TeX.

Kind regards,
Michael Krauss