[tex-live] TL 2008 production

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 23:28:29 CET 2008

Hi all,
I would like to ask when TL 2008 will go to production. The reason for
my question is that I would like to finish a few packages, put them to
CTAN and heve them included in TL. On of these packages is Velthuis
Devanagari. It contains also a modified version of the preprocessor.
However, the modification in the preprocessor are not very important:

 \def\DevnagVersion is inserted at the beginning of the second line
 if the first line starts with %&

 Error and warning messages written to stderr instead of stdout
 (requested by Karl Berry)

I will provide Linux executables for i386 and x86_64 as well as
Windows executable (verified even on Windows Vista) but it will not be
a big problem if executable version 2.14 will be kept on some
platforms.

I would also like to include Hindi in babel. The package now contains
both hindi.dtx and generated hindi.ldf so even without running the
whole babel stuff it is sufficient to add the following line to
language.dat:

hindi zerohyph.tex

It was tested even with XeLaTeX.

CSTUG would also like to include new babel modules for the Czech and
Slovak languages. The aim was to remove a lot of conflicts between
LaTeX and CSLaTeX while keeping compatibility with existing documents.
CSLaTeX could then be removed because its functionality is implemented
in the new modules. The were developed under the CSTUG grant, the
result is available from
http://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/cstug/tesarik/csbabel/ but it was
developed before XeTeX appeared in TL. Further I modified the package
(information for language.dat) so that the modules work with XeLaTeX
too and made a script which installs the modules for TL, teTeX and
MiKTeX (tested on Linux, OS/2 and Windows). The script currently does
not handle path names containing spaces. It is available from

http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/tex/csh_babel.php

We know that the right way is to have it included in the babel
distribution but as I was informed some time ago J. Braams does not
respond. Is it possible to include these modules to TL although a
small patch to the babel core is required?

Regards,
--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/