[tex-live] [tex-hyphen] german hyphenation patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 14:02:55 CEST 2008

Hello,

I forgot to add a tiny note about backward-compatibility of the new
scheme of loading patterns.

- functionality should not not change (except that new german patterns
would be loaded for XeTeX, and that we have fixed some "bugs" where
XeTeX did not load the old patterns properly; we might have introduced
some new ones though?)

- patterns were converted into UTF-8, but they should stay that way
"forever" unless pattern creator wants to upload a new version and if
country (language) fellows do not prohibit him to do that; the naming
scheme of languages conforms to RFC4646; we did not account for
pattern versions though

- pattern loading macros might change and will change, but it's a
matter of changing a few lines in a generating script, and it's in
full control - users should not bother about that *at all*

So - authors are supposed to care that patterns are ok, while the team
behind TeX Live should care that loading them works properly. We will
try to convince authors to modify the new files in future.

Mojca

PS: old files will remain on TeX Live (users might depend on them),
but they won't be used when generating formats.