[tex-live] texlive installation on FreeBSD amd64

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jul 19 22:47:01 CEST 2008

Manfred Lotz writes:
 > Thx. I'll try it out with one of the next iso images (they get built
 > daily in the night, isn't is?).

Yes. You could try after 5:30 UTC.

What I already tried before uploading TLUtils.pm was to replace
tlpkg/installer/config.guess by a file which contains:
#! /bin/sh

echo x86_64-unknown-freebsd7.0

and started the installer.  This worked fine here.

At the beginning it reported:
Platform: amd64-freebsd => 'x86_64 with FreeBSD'

Then in the menus:

Main menu:
 Detected platform: x86_64 with FreeBSD

Binary systems menu:
   a [ ] alpha-linux      DEC Alpha with GNU/Linux
   b [X] amd64-freebsd    x86_64 with FreeBSD
   c [ ] hppa-hpux        HP-UX

Note that only the string "amd64-freebsd" is relevant.

I suppose that it works for you now.  But I recommend to follow
Norbert's advice regarding the installer package and install TL
completely.  With "completely" I mean to run everything until you get
the welcome message.  But it's sufficient to select scheme-minimal.

Note that I'm leaving tomorrow for TUG-2008.  It would be nice to hear
from you soon that it works now.

BTW, the installer can be downloaded from

  ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/tldev/install-tl.zip  (Unix and Windows)
  ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/tldev/install-tl-unx.tar.gz  (Unix only)

Regards, and thanks for reporting the bug,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25