[tex-live] Format generation error

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 10:28:38 CEST 2008

2008/7/18 Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> Zdenek Wagner writes:
>
>  > I do not want to upgrade until I am sure that everything works.
>
> On Unix systems you can always install TeX Live 2008 without breaking

I know, even in OS/2 it is possible, I only complained that the
formats were not generated during installation if PATH pointed to
TL2007.

> anything.  Even if you install it to the same directory where you
> installed TL-2007, it's safe.
>
> Instead of
>
>  /usr/local/texlive/2007
>  /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> you should get
>
>  /usr/local/texlive/2007
>  /usr/local/texlive/2008
>  /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> And which version you actually want to use depends on the $PATH settings.
>
> On Windows you have to de-install TL-2007 in order to get rid of the
> TEXMFCNF entry in the registry.
>
> There is absolutely no reason not to upgrade.

It is, e.g. newer version of hyperref breaks something in
devanagari.sty while in TL2005 it worked. I had no time to examine it
and the broken feature is rarely needed. Maybe I am the only person
who had the problem.

> Regards,
>  Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz