[tex-live] xetex: broken pdf inclusion

Thanh Han The hanthethanh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 10:56:26 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 09:27:07AM +0200, Martin Schroeder wrote:
> 2008/7/17 Thanh Han The <hanthethanh at gmail.com>:
> > perhaps Martin can explain why -DDISABLE_OUTLINE was added
> > to Makefile's (since version 1.40.6)?
>
> If you look at the XPDF code and my changes, you'll notice that
> DISABLE_OUTLINE removes code not needed by pdfTeX.

from the xpdf code, it seems that the intended purpose of
DISABLE_OUTLINE is not for optimization, but for compiling
the xpdf viewer on platform where outline support is not
possible. It is set internally by xpdf in XPDFViewer.h:

,--------
| #if (XmVERSION <= 1) && !defined(__sgi)
| #define DISABLE_OUTLINE
| #endif
`--------

apart from this place, it's not set anywhere else, including
the config stuff.

> Less code,

The number of excluded lines with DISABLE_OUTLINE defined is
very small (~200, which is about 0.3% of the total number of
lines of xpdf code). On the other side, this adds some
complexity on the pdftex side (and other programs).

> fewer errors,

quite the contrary: it has caused much headache for many of
us

> smaller binary. :-)

a quick comparison:

with -DDISABLE_OUTLINE:
,--------
| pdftex-not-stripped     3350867
| pdftex-stripped         1562112
`--------

without -DDISABLE_OUTLINE:
,--------
| pdftex-not-stripped     3370897     diff 20030 bytes = 0.6%
| pdftex-stripped         1567092     diff  4980 bytes = 0.3%
`--------

again, the gain in size is a tiny percentage.

As such, I vote for removing -DDISABLE_OUTLINE from Makefile's.
Any objection?

Thanh