[tex-live] [tex-hyphen] CZ/SK in babel for TL 08

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jul 16 16:32:41 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 03:49:38PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Vladimir Volovich wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> >  MM> The whole logic is hidden in the code below (one can easily load
> >  MM> conv-utf8-il2.tex instead of conv-utf8-ec.tex), but you would need
> >  MM> to tell me what and how to change. I thought that you would load
> >  MM> both patterns at once, but if you want to load them depending on
> >  MM> current encoding, I don't have the knowledge how to do that.
> >
> > a brief look at recent babel changes shows that it is now possible to
> > specify the encoding in the language.dat file, e.g.:
> >
> > slovak loadhyph-sk.tex
> > slovak:IL2 loadhyph-sk-il2.tex
> >
> > then babel will load the patterns which were loaded by loadhyph-sk-il2.tex
> > if one switches to slovak language, and current font encoding will be IL2.
>
> Forgetting the fact that Karl (and me included) would probably be
> against even more major changes just before the release and that these
> changes should concern after-tl-2008 timeframe ...
>
> I would vote for going one steep deeper.
>
> language.dat could contain:
>     slovak  ec,il2 loadhyph-sk.tex
> and then encoding name could be stored to some variable, visible to
> loadhyph, so that it would load the proper encoding without having to
> generate dozens of loadhyph-xx-yy files.

language.dat is the configuration file for babel's hyphen.cfg,
not the database for loadhyph files.

> Also keep in mind that:
> - for some languages several encodings (t1, texnansi) are equivalent
> - Germans and probably others want to have access to multiple versions
> of patterns

The alias mechanism can be used:

ngerman:T1 ...
=ngerman:texnansi

(But I don't know "texnansi", TL2008 is missing "texnansienc.def".)

> - Russians and Ukrainians want that as well
> - we don't want to load Russian patterns in XeTeX seven times

The limited patterns space and that the patterns must be
loaded by iniTeX are the real problem.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>